February 24, 2015

I am a Mother



"A good woman must constantly resist alluring and deceptive messages from many sources telling her that she is entitled to more time away from her responsibilities and that she deserves a life of greater ease and independence. But with personal revelation, she can prioritize correctly and navigate this life confidently.
The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life."  ("And Upon Thy Handmaiden in those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit" Julie B. Beck, April 2010)

Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;
FOR THE POWER IS IN THEM, wherein they are agents unto themselves.  And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward.  
(Doctrine & Covenants 58:26-27)

Isn't that SO powerful?
Women, we have great power within us.
We have power to teach, to love, to organize, to create, to lead, and to give relief.  

For years I have tried to learn the art of nurturing.  I have wrestled with my own natural tendencies, with the philosophy of the world, and with physical and mental opposition.  I believe that there is opposition in every good thing.  I also believe that the power is IN us to do more good than we know.  We are not victims, we are agents, free to act and with great access to heavenly help.

In a talk called, A Mother's Heart, Sister Julie Beck describes a righteous woman as one who, "believes that to be “primarily responsible for the nurture of [her] children” is a vital, dignified, and “sacred responsibilit[y]” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World,”Liahona, Oct. 1998, 24; Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102). To nurture and feed them physically is as much an honor as to nurture and feed them spiritually. She is “not weary in well-doing” and delights to serve her family, because she knows that “out of small things proceedeth that which is great” (D&C 64:33)."

In a talk called "Fulfilling the Purpose of Relief Society" Sister Julie Beck in October 2008...

"The only way we can accomplish this is by seeking, receiving, and acting on personal revelation.  The real power in this great worldwide sisterhood lies within each woman. Though we may see ourselves as weak and simple, we all share a noble heritage and can develop a faith that is equal to that of remarkable, faithful women who have gone before us. We have a vital role to play in helping build the kingdom of God and preparing for the Lord’s coming. In fact, the Lord cannot accomplish His work without the help of His daughters. Because of that, the Lord expects us to increase our offering. He expects us to fulfill the purpose of Relief Society as never before."


Today I am adding my voice to that which has been testified by many who live lives of quiet service.  Wealth, fame and ease are not the hallmarks of a successful life.

Today I am remembering that I am not a victim I am powerful to act.  The power I need does not come from external sources, I already have it, I just need to access it.

Today I am studying and praying and listening for the influence of the Holy Ghost in my life.  

Today I am finding great nobility in my call to bring relief to others.  I am capable of more good.  I know it.

Life is such a grand teacher.  I'm grateful to spend one more day learning.

(I love this picture Eve took of me doing what I do...)

Have I done any good in the world today?  Have I helped anyone in need?  Have I cheered up the sad or made someone feel glad?  If not I have failed indeed.

(I'm off to relieve Ben of his mouthful of Legos.  I love my job.)

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Loved this reminder today! Thanks for sharing.

Kajsa and Fam said...

Thank you! Those are some powerful quotes!

Momza said...

inspired post...thanks so much for sharing the goodness of Motherhood!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...