March 10, 2015

A Mother's Scripture Moment

I really put a priority on my morning scripture study.  I'm never consistent in my plan, what I'm reading, or how I study, but I am consistent in the fact that I do it.

I try to spend some time each day with real scriptures in my hand.  I have a journal where I jot scripture references or quotes I love.  I can't tell you how often I refer back to that as I'm talking to people throughout the day.  I'm always talking my life sermon and I love to reference quickly the scriptures that I'm chewing on.

I'm currently loving Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-28

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward. 
27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness; 
28 For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves. And inasmuch as men do good they shall in nowise lose their reward. (Doctrine and Covenants, Doctrine and Covenants, D&C 58)

I love the idea of the power within me, being an agent unto myself, and doing good!  

This morning I read a bunch of scriptures about how we are JEWELS.

and in the day when I shall make up my jewels, all men shall know what it is that bespeaketh the power of God. (Doctrine and Covenants, Doctrine and Covenants, D&C 60)

I love that!  The cross-references to that verse are so cool.  I love the imagery that we are jewels in His crown while He is promising us that in time we will be crowned.  Beautiful.

Eve was playing sweetly in her room while I read and Ben was not.  He climbed quickly on the table, grabbed the salt shaker, and started shaking it into the flower arrangement.  I brought some toys out for him, but I was more fun.  

He also grabbed a marker from the desk drawer and started drawing on the wall.  I caught him just as a tiny hot pink line went next to another black sharpie line.  I sat him on my lap with paper and a pen.  He preferred marking my scriptures to coloring on his paper.
Todd snapped a few pictures of our antics as he was bringing my phone downstairs for me.
Ha!
I love this kid more than scripture study.
I had to scoop him up because he started climbing again.  Surprisingly, he was pretty cuddley.  
You can see his little chin scab in this picture.  
While he laid in my lap, I kept reading.  
I just laughed when The Lord commanded me to start CRAFTING again!!
"Let there be a craft made, or bought, as seemeth you good!!!" Doctrine and Covenants 60:5

Oh, how I love the word of God.  :)
Honestly, this was a silly little verse of scripture where He spoke directly to me.  I know I have a Father in Heaven who knows ME.  He smiles and laughs with me AND HE KNOWS THAT ST PATRICK'S DAY DECORATIONS ARE GOOD FOR MY SOUL.
I sat there smiling as I communed with my God and I heard deep breathing.  I used my phone to confirm that Ben had actually fallen asleep.  No way!

This moment, so typical of my stage of life, was just beautiful to me.  I loved my stinky, active boy, my haphazard scripture study, my Heavenly command to get my craft on, and the voice of sweet Eve singing high-soprano to her dolls in her bedroom.

I snapped one more picture and started mentally writing this blog.
Life is SO good!
Take a moment each morning to meditate, ponder, pray, find that power within you.  Let Him tell you that you are His jewel. Find direction for your life (and perhaps divine permission for a trip to Hobby Lobby).  Oh!  Heaven is near.

Just as my soul was basking, my little guy started squirming.  He sat up, burped a bit, and gave me a face that I knew.  I sat in slow motion as diarrhea poured out of his diaper all over my lap, and he began throwing up all over my chest, hand, and kitchen rug.

I screamed for  the Professor (who is working from home during his Spring Break this week) and I started laughing.  Of course!!!  This is SO my life.
Don't worry, Rocco is great on the clean-up committee.
Ha!  I'm kidding!  We screamed at him as soon as we noticed his help.

Oh, a mother's life is rarely glamorous but it IS beautiful.

Ben wrote his blog while I wrote this blog.
I'm off to do some laundry, love a sick-y little guy, and to be anxiously engaged in a good cause doing many things of my own free will, bringing to pass much righteousness!

I love my job.
Life is good, even with a lap full!!


1 comment:

Kristine said...

Oh my greatness! I hope Ben feels better soon and momma...keep on keeping on :) Thank you for sharing those verses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...