April 20, 2015

Chicks

Anna got 6 more chicks this weekend.  These chicken will be egg layers.  They are an ornamental mix, I think the black with yellow spots on their heads are four more Barred Rocks or Plymouth Rocks that will grow to look like this-
And, I think the chipmunk chicks are two Modern Black Breasted Red Game hens that might look like this- haha!  Little weird chickens.  
I really love our chickens.  
I think I love them because Anna loves them.  Homemade eggs are the best.  I'm absolutely addicted to fresh eggs.

It was going to get cold last night so I suggested that Anna bring the tub of chicks inside.  She went out the big barn door with a large Tupperware of chicks and a heating lamp.  When she opened it, Chuck and T-bone (the steers) pushed by her into the barn and knocking the tub of chicks onto the ground.  

Anna was panicked trying to protect baby chicks from big, clumsy cows.  The bedding, food, and water she had just cleaned spilled everywhere and the silly cows were focused on eating the chicken food not returning to the field.  She got everyone gathered and headed to the garage.  For some reason she opened the garage door and Rocco was in the garage, so he ran out and Anna screamed again.  With all the animals we have, the dog is the absolute hardest.   

We laughed about our crazy life as we cleaned out the tub and tucked our chicks in bed for the night.

This Friday we are picking up our turkey poults and baby chicks.

My friend and I (well, Jakob actually) are raising heritage chickens to eat and sell.  I think I get the better deal.  We just have to raise them for the first 6 or 7 weeks until they get their feathers and then she is going to pasture them until we pay someone to process them for us.  I'm really excited.  

I can't even tell you how much I love raising my own food.  The health, taste, life lesson and even the ethics of this life really feels right to me.  It is such fun, and REAL, hard work.  
Yesterday was an inspiring day.  I loved a lesson on The Power of the Word (Teachings of Ezra T Benson, chapter 8).
Here are two of my favorite quotes--

“The word of God, as found in the scriptures, in the words of living prophets, and in personal revelation, has the power to fortify the Saints and arm them with the Spirit so they can resist evil, hold fast to the good, and find joy in this life.”

Oh, my brethren, let us not treat lightly the great things we have received from the hand of the Lord! His word is one of the most valuable gifts He has given us. I urge you to recommit yourselves to a study of the scriptures. Immerse yourselves in them daily so you will have the power of the Spirit to attend you in your callings. Read them in your families and teach your children to love and treasure them. Then prayerfully and in counsel with others, seek every way possible to encourage the members of the Church to follow your example. If you do so, you will find, as Alma did, that “the word [has] a great tendency to lead people to do that which [is] just—yea, it [has] more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which [has] happened unto them.” (Alma 31:5.)

I also went to the most enlightening meeting of Women Transcending Boundaries.  This is a local interfaith group of women that was started by a Christian and a Muslim woman following 9-11.  In a room bustling with powerful, kind women, we were taught about sex and slave trafficking right here in Syracuse.  

My eyes were opened to the grooming and predatory intent that goes into kidnapping or luring young girls into a life of prostitution and drug addiction.  I feel a strong responsibility to be aware, to teach my children, and to do something.

We listened to women, modern-day abolitionists, who have worked to end slavery on international, national, and local levels.  Perhaps the most poignant remarks came from a beautiful young abolitionist who said those trapped in these lifestyles are still beings of light.  Some will not choose to leave, but some just need an option and they will choose a better way.  She asked us to pray because only prayer has the power to make a difference against such evil.

Here in Syracuse they arrested a 12 year old for prostitution and sent her to a detention center.  They pointed out how ridiculous that is.  A 12 year old prostitute is a victim not a criminal.  Often parents sell their children to support their drug habits.  Sad.

The more I learn the more I realize my ignorance.  I continue to see why Christ says,

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. (New Testament, John, John 8)

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. (New Testament, John, John 8)

I hope much is lost in this telling of the story.  I imagine He hugged that woman, or at the least that he touched her and healed her soul.  I imagine that as the woman went to leave, she was enveloped in the arms of the female disciples of Christ who would feed her, clothe her, and help her as she changed her life.  

I want to be more like that.  I think awareness is the first step.  These hurting people are in my town, my family, my church.  What can I offer?

Life is good.
We are loved.
Happy Monday friends.
I hope you're safe.  I hope you're loved.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...